Monday, March 14, 2011

Regina (Heeyun) Jeong

 
My name is Regina and I would like to start my story with the letters of my name.

 

Read: whenever I face problems, I read the books. By reading the books, most of the time I could meet many persons who had the difficulties that I had and sometimes, I could get the idea that led me to find my own solutions. Of course there was the time that neither I could find a person who had dealt the same troubles nor could earn the idea from the books. However, even those times, I could get the energy which helped me to carry on the struggles.

 

English: do you remember the very first English word that you learned when you were young? I do. The word was flower. When I was 10, my sister asked me one day, " Do you know what [kkot] in English?"  "No."  "It is flower."  "b-l-o-a?" "No, f-l-a-u-e-r!"  "p-f-f—l-a—e-r.." For 10-year-old girl, (who had believed people on the world were communicating only in Korean) that encounter with the single word flower changed her life completely. From that moment, my craving for learning English had become the thing that hardly disappeared. And for almost two decades, English has been the one and the only thing that I have neither got tired of nor given up… yet.  

                                          

Graduate study: my major is Media, Peace, and Conflict Studies. Some students can focus on the study of media and others on conflicts. However, I want to focus on the study of peace. After I went through lots of changes and challenges in my life, I found the one thing that kept holding my heart - peace. Is peace coming from inside or outside? Certainly there was the time that I easily found my peace from outside: the prestige school, good grades, and secure jobs. However, the outer peace did not last long for me. Soon I felt empty and kept struggling for more to fill the emptiness. Then I realized I should find my inner peace first. However, questions concerning peace, especially mental peace, were not easily answered through the books and other materials within my reach. So I decided to get the professional perspectives and demonstrated case studies in Graduate school.

 

Interest: I am simply interested in everything that inspires me to try out new things. I think I cannot name the whole list that once inspired me before. So here I put one of my favorite Shakespeare Quotes instead.

 

We must take the current when it serves, or lose our ventures – Julius Caesar Act 4, scene 3

 

Note-freak: I am obsessed with making notes. My diary is filled with random thoughts, countless plans, and mostly quotes (like Derry's verbal battery.) When I find no books with me, I spend my times to read these notes all over again. Yes. I am a reading freak, too.

 

After I graduate: I guess I did not tell you another reason why I chose Media as my major. I believe media can be a tool for a change and it can create the awareness of people as it did to me. A while ago, I saw a documentary film that totally awoke my awareness. The film was named Crossing Heaven's Border. It showed the way North Korean people fled from their country to China and how they survived there. I knew that lives of North Korean people were devastating but I did not know that they had risked their lives to survive, get freedom. For me, freedom (or freewill) had been the one that simply chosen by my desire. This was the start of my new journey. In the future, I want to bring about chances to let others know by means of media. It can be the forms of journals, documentary films, or other political advertisings. I hope to be a professional who works with peace communication skills and creates the awareness of people over the world.  

 

 

 
Thanks for your time and I will see you tomorrow in the class.
Good Night~!
 
 
Best regards,
Regina

                                                               

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment