Monday, March 14, 2011

Mina Sheikhha (An introduction to Myself)

     I've never even imagined writing an essay about one's self would be a task of many hours. Now that I'm actually on it, I realize that no matter how simple a person is, when it is time to write about it, there are millions of things to choose among.

     I'm an Iranian undergraduate student from the University of Tehran, majored in Italian literature, who came to HUFS Korea as an exchange student a semester ago, an unpredicted opportunity which became a turning point of my life.

     I used to think that I know what I want, and that I'm heading to it. Coming to Korea, my box got bigger, and I changed directions, now I barely know what will show up next, but I started believing that life is all about unpredictable challenges that I'm determined to accept. 

     The first turning point was falling out of linguistics and becoming an international relation admirer, with a growing desire to work in the national security section. Now all I care about is learning more, seeking neutral science, one that is almost impossible to obtain within the borders of my country. For that to accomplish, I'm planning to study my masters in South Korea, and later I'll be heading to the States to study as a PhD student in Princeton University.

      To define myself in as few words as possible, I would say I'm a truth seeker who rebels against anything obscure within the margins of science. I need to know, and that's all I care about.

     I'm in love with books; a trip to the book store would make my day. I love the smell, the colors and the possibility of such huge obtainable knowledge existing in a book. I believe among all the things that can inspire and change a person, a good book would be candidate number one. I'm a huge fan of music, but since I'm determined to stay as boring as possible, I feel my best when I'm listening to classical. I'm also learning piano and violin, which I'm not that talented. I had stopped practicing ever since I came to Korea.

     Language is my passion; that's why I chose it as my major. I'm in love with English, as I believe it to be the key to unlimited science. I love movies, but being easily bored and hardly impressed, I barely use the "That was a good movie" phrase, so I'd rather hit the cinema based on a friend's recommendation rather than a random movie.

     I'm also a sport fanatic, exciting sports such as tennis and swimming, or soccer can really cheer me up. But I don't enjoy watching, I like to be involved more as a player.

     My studies, my friendships, my whole life is based on a simple factor: To strive for perfection. I'm determined to prove it with my own life that: Only impossible is impossible. So I tend to take more responsibilities than what a person my age does. I enjoy being good at something, rather than enjoy doing it.

     I believe to change the world, one shall start from one's self, and that's an almost mission impossible for everybody, yet I tend to make it happen. To me, a better world is only possible when individuals are changing for better, and I'm determined to do my share.


No comments:

Post a Comment