Monday, March 21, 2011

Being sober = facing the life for real, a neutral one

     Living on drugs is as looking at the world through sunglasses with different colored lenses. Things look extraordinary; you feel excited, overwhelmed, emotions you normally do not feel. And it all feels so real. Then you make a choice. You feel like you have to change or it is your life. So you try to stay clean and live as new. And suddenly things start changing. No more sunglasses, and there you face the real world. Not that you were not facing it before, but that you had a different concept: "Once I was sober, I didn't see Megan the same way at all." As mentions Slash when he starts to get sober. "She was sweet, she was fine… but she was just there." No more excitement once the colored lenses are gone. And when things start clearing up for real: "I've always had to do things my way." There then starts being an independent self of you. And it is not the matter of changing for better; it is just about being you; being real: "And I'm still here, whether or not I deserve to be is another story." And whether that reality is a better you - a more successful version, a more independent one - or a change for worse - a person who does not fear breaking a lover's heart - who would I be to judge?


By: Mina Sheikhha


No comments:

Post a Comment